bg rotator

Friday, April 6, 2018

Sol Trigger(ソールトリガー)

Sol Trigger was one of the first games I beat on the PSP so long ago that I totally forgot about it till now. Even though it's from one of my favorite but alas defunct developer Imageepoch, it wasn't one of my favorite games from them. Still, it has the usual impressive Imageepoch PSP visuals and some great animation so it definitely makes a good first impression.


If only looks were everything

Unfortunately, the gameplay was uncharacteristically well, to be frank, kind of boring. Now, it has been many years since I played and my memory is a bit hazy but this is a very vanilla RPG without a lot of depth in mechanics. Each character has abilities and you can charge them before you use it but I never found a reason NOT to charge them to the max so it was just a tedious exercise of holding R every time.

Why the hell would you NOT want to charge to max?
I still remember the story so at least it definitely made an impression. It was very... well interesting to say the least. Especially when you get to the first ending so to speak. I wouldn't say the story was good necessarily but it was definitely different. One highlight is that Ema is voiced by Hanazawa Kana. This was before she got super popular so her gyara was actually probably affordable at the time.


Kana-chan moeeeeee

The game isn't that long and the replay value is pretty limited as well. You can pick one of the girls (I picked Kana-chan ofc) and it has minor affects on some abilities for a future party member for reasons that will be apparent if you play the game.

Score: 2.5 and optional 0.5 bonus Kana-chan points cause HOTNESS out of 5 (31 hours played)

Overall, in my vague recollection of the game, I didn't come away too impressed though it wasn't a terrible game either. It was just eh, whatever. It at least tried something new in the ending department at least, if not the battle system.

LOL, like I said, it's been a while


Scale
0 - Awful
1 - Bad and not worth your time
2 - Has some flaws but still enjoyable
3 - An average enjoyable experience
4 - A great game
5 - Masterpiece of a caliber only found very rarely

No comments:

Post a Comment