bg rotator

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Binary Domain(バイナリー ドメイン)

This may come as a surprise to regular readers of this blog (all 2 of you) but I'm actually a pretty big fan of FPS and 3rd person shooters (TPS?) or at least I was while devs still cared about the single player campaign and not whatever battle royale garbage they're trying to hawk these days (damn kids). Yes, I played Wolfenstein and later the free shareware part of Doom probably on somebody else's computer. I played the Quake games, Unreal, Half-Life (including the original), blah blah blah so I have probably well over 10 if not 20 years of shooting enemies dead. And yet somehow I have no urge to own guns in real life and would be perfectly happy not having to worry about what other idiots might do with them but let's not get into that cause it's fucking depressing, not even joking.

It's not fucking Doom (1993), it's Doom. I hate it when they steal the original name.
Anyways, for reasons I can't begin to fathom, most of these types of games are American so I didn't talk about it here as a Jhipster but here we have a 3rd person shooter by the Ryo ga Gotoku studio. I played it in English because Japanese dub for English speaking characters is meh (don't confuse Jhipsters with weebs). It takes place in Japan and logically, the Japanese characters speak in Japanese amongst themselves so the "English" dub is definitely way to go.

She's Chinese but Asians all look the same, right? #racist
I play all my shooters on PC because I'm old school and will always play with keyboard+mouse unless it's a console exclusive. This one is a pretty standard over the shoulder Gears of War cover system type of game but the damn robots suck up a lot of damage at least on Hard difficulty. It's actually harder in the beginning until you upgrade your weapon.  Near the end, you'll be popping robot heads like Trump's doctor pops pills.

Damage being like 0.01%. Prepare to pump hundreds of bullets to take this puppy down.
The distinctive feature of this game is the whole voice command thing which I turned off cause I'm not going to be saying "Yeah" into a mic like an idiot. In fact, I had to Google the fact that you HAVE to turn off the voice command in order to use the keyboard to pick your reply. Picking the right answers and also playing well will raise affection levels with your team members while friendly fire will do the opposite, which is annoying because they're constantly running into your line of sight. Parts of the story will change depending on how well you get along with the characters which makes this game feel definitely Japanese.

You can't have a Japanese game without a geisha, right?
Of course, I didn't give a fuck about the guys or Rachael (pretty much also a guy in my book) and spent most of the game with Faye and Cain. Having only one hottie definitely does NOT feel Japanese so I was stuck with Cain as the third wheel. I don't think getting chummy with Cain does anything for the story but I don't care about Steam achievements so I'm happy with the ending I got and have little urge to play through it again.

As for the story, the whole robot vs human thing has been done so many times, it's almost impossible to have an original story. The only thing I would say is that the game tried to be a little bit original and didn't do anything too cliché like Blade Runner or something. The main character was a bit fishy being called the Survivor and all but I won't give anything away. Overall, like the rest of the game, it was fun enough.

You only kill robots so I guess that doesn't make you a murderer #BeAllYouCanBe
Score: 3 but wait, what if we were all robots in the Matrix in somebody's dream? Whoaaaa, deep. out of 5 (14 hours to beat)

I always have a shooter on the side as an outlet after hours of hardcore RPGing or hours and hours of ADV reading. I still play on hard mode because hardcore gamer here of course. This game does unlock yet another level of difficulty after you beat it. It was fun and all but I got my fill and won't be going for a replay. It was an average enjoyable experience and not much more than that. At the very least, it was WAY better than my previous shooter outlet: TimeShift (sigh, the shit I play).


Scale
0 - Awful
1 - Bad and not worth your time
2 - Has some flaws but still enjoyable
3 - An average enjoyable experience
4 - A great game
5 - Masterpiece of a caliber only found very rarely

No comments:

Post a Comment